Thursday, June 10, 2010

Branching Out

Due to "The Great 70cent Boycott"* of the Dunkin Donuts-Baskin Robbins (formerly known as "Andy's Office"), I've relocated my locus of operations to Purabelleza, where I'm currently abusing their wifi and consuming inappropriate amounts of coffee.

Today will likely consist of me lying to myself that I'll do something important like get my new driver's license or go get fingerprinted for the third time in the last year and then proceed to sit around and wait for the kindly folks at AT&T to call to let me know what the dilly is with our internetz. I'd try to muster up the emotion to be angry at our new internet providers if every customer service representative I talked to weren't crazy-friendly and if I didn't have the sneaking suspicion that our tech woes are all my fault. In any case, thank you to Brian, John, Rhona and Shonda (all of AT&T) for being so nice to me, despite the fact that I'm sure it's apparent to each of these individuals that I'm a big oafish internet-breaking fool.

In happier news, the Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup last night. Funny how something that I wouldn't have cared about AT ALL just a few months ago has come to be such a big deal in my mind. I successfully watched every game of the Finals and, in the course of doing so, became something of a regular at the Congress Pizzeria and Ristorante, where the friendly bartender and Jesus, the manager, made us feel very welcome ... and didn't seem to care that we know almost nothing about hockey.** Thanks, guys!

Getting pretty jittery from all this coffee, so I'm going to add some endnotes and call it quits for now. Til next time, true believers!

*The Great 70cent Boycott, alternatively known as "The Dunkin-Baskin Boycott of 2010," begun in earnest on 6/8/2010, is a response to the sudden arbitrary price hike in many drinks on the Dunkin Donuts-Baskin Robbins menu, including a 70cent increase on small iced coffees. Participants in the G70B (still ongoing) demand a return to previous prices or at least an apology for the sudden, hurtful bump.

**Lies. Look at all of these things I've learned about hockey:

Names of Blackhawks players (I'm not even looking these up before I write them): Toews, Byfuglien, Kane, Niemi, Hossa, Seabrook, Boynton, Richards, Sharpe, Hjarllson, (or something equally ridiculous and Scandinavian) and hated Flyers players(Pronger, Pronger, Pronger, Pronger, Hartnell, and Pronger).

Penalties: Icing, Off Sides, High Sticking, Cross-checking ... I even know what most of these mean and can identify them while watching a game (most of them).

No comments:

Post a Comment