Saturday, February 27, 2010

Hodge Podge


I've been reading some forum threads about how to get people to read your blog and in so doing have looked at some other people's blogs. I've come to the conclusion that part of my challenge is that I'm not a very disciplined blogger with regards to sticking to a particular theme or topic ... which makes my target audience for this blog basically people who care about my (apparently quite) random musings.

This entry isn't gonna help that much, I'm afraid.

So, first of all, I started watching "Big Love" this week and -- despite my deep aversion to Bill Paxton (I think I previously mentioned my "Worst Actors of All Time" list, which he tops) -- I'm already sold. I am a LITTLE concerned that I may mostly be enthralled by the strange and bizarre world of polygamy and/or Mormon cult living. Oh well. (The show was very quick to acknowledge that the Church of the Latter Day Saints (LDS) has not condoned polygamy since 1890.)

Okay, how about this one? I was driving down to Portland today, and apparently my radio tuner in the car is busted because most of the time I could only get one or two stations (this may also have been because I was in the boonies). I actually kind of like this, because it makes me listen to things that I normally wouldn't ... like THIS SONG! The first verse is about a guy who's about to kill himself in his car (a Chevy, of course) when his buddies call to make sure he's coming out on some binger. This thoughtful expression of friendship causes the protagonist to reconsider his plans and to respond what will become the refrain of the song: "Thanks for the call."
Today was gonna be the day
He´d already wrote the note
And parked that Chevrolet
At the end of that dead end road
Had his finger on the trigger; just about to end everything
He was taking one last long breathe; when he heard his cell phone ring

And his best friends say man where you been?
We´re headed down to the lake this weekend
You better not miss it ´cause buddy I swear
It won´t be the same If you aint there
And i told that girl that you like so much
You were coming along and her eyes lit up
I better let you go man i really hope i didnt catch you in the middle of anything
He said you kinda did but i don´t mind at all
I´m glad you called

It's been a while since a song made me burst out laughing, but this one did it. A+!

I keep hoping that each of of these posts will be my last one written from my crappy work laptop. I've got my sights set on a new mac and have been obsessively checking this website to see when I can fork over the dough. Both MacRumors, Rachel and everybody else I ask say it's better just to wait until the new updates are out. Sigh. Some day soon ... I hope.

Finally, and most importantly, I got to go watch Rachel compete in the Jessup International Law Competition today. She was amazing. I told her afterward that I was amazed by how much like a REAL LAWYER she really is now. The last time I saw her in a mock trial-type competition was in her first year of law school, and it's so impressive how much progress she has made. She has worked so hard over the last three years, and the results are plain to see. She has inspired me to take a similar tack (though perhaps not QUITE as zealous) in my own career path. She's amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment