Sunday, February 14, 2010

Scary Book


Since finishing "Other People's Children," I've been reading the next in my book series, which I think I'm going to call "Think You Want To Be a Teacher? Think AGAIN!" This one is called "Relentless Pursuit: A Year In The Trenches With Teach For America" by Donna Foote. It's a journalistic/enthnographic treatment of TFA, primarily following four first-year corps members (CMs). Between Foote's likable writing style and the fact that I'll be facing many of the described perils in several months, I'm having trouble putting it down.

Major takeaways (or reasons to be afraid so far) are:
-children just may actually URINATE in my classroom
-institute sounds unbearable (5:30am to midnight or later for 5 weeks straight??)
-the actual teaching that comes AFTER institute doesn't sound all that much better

But all in all, reading "Relentless Pursuit" is confirming my belief that this is something that I will enjoy and feel good about doing ... even if I don't feel WELL while doing it.

It's Valentine's Day. Rachel and I are feasting on fancy salad and Crepes Coquilles St. Jacques (scallop crepes) followed by bubbly and Cupcake Royale's DEATHCAKE (V-Day special).

No comments:

Post a Comment